Wednesday 18 January 2012

Spiderman

I‘m still not comfortable with spiders but I find them sort of fascinating. You learn to live with them once you were in Australia. 
We used to have a few ‘garden orb weaving‘ spiders in Sydney. I have the habit of teasing animals and so I wanted to trick one of those weird crawlies by throwing a little stick in its web. 
I reckon spiders look worst when they move their legs. When they dextrously abseiling down a cobweb right in front of your face. Or when they rush over the neat web to their prey. 
So the little stick landed in the web and within a few seconds the spider is there checking what‘s tonight‘s dinner. It wraps the stick just like a fly. And then takes a little bite (at least that‘s what it looks like). I thought I‘d successfully tricked a big fat spider but no... It cuts out the stick and leaves a hole in its web. Then the spider is back in the centre. Motionless. Waiting for the ‘real deal‘.
Apparently that spiderman couldn‘t live with a damaged cobweb – it was mended on the next day. 

Pretty awesome cobweb – here, and here and everywhere!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LABLES